- 28-Feb-2017 to 31-Mar-2017 (PST)
- Human Resources
- Portland, OR, USA
- $75,000 - $90,000
- Regular - Full-Time
Eligible for full benefits.
Position Profile: Head of People and Culture
Our Mission: Inspire curiosity through engaging science learning experiences, foster experimentation and the exchange of ideas, and stimulate informed action.
The Oregon Museum of Science and Industry (OMSI) is seeking an outstanding leader for a newly created position: Head of People and Culture. The successful candidate will join the OMSI team at a pivotal time in the organization's history, and will help to design and shape the future of what it means to work at OMSI. This leader reports to the President/CEO and will advise at the executive and board level and collaborate effectively with colleagues across an array of operational functions and community partnerships. The Head of People and Culture will serve as a catalyst for increasing the diversity of OMSI's employees and volunteers and fostering a culture of inclusion, joyful learning and professional growth, in support of OMSI's strategic priority to elevate the staff's experience in working at OMSI.
OMSI is a center of excellence in science teaching and learning and a valued destination for the community. Founded in 1944, OMSI is ranked as one of the nation's top ten science museums and a world-class tourist attraction and educational resource that reaches 1 million people each year. The museum features five exhibit halls and eight science labs featuring hundreds of interactive exhibits and hands-on demonstrations, as well as residential camps and programs across the region. OMSI's staff consists of 250-300 paid employees and 500 volunteers. They share a passion for our mission and believe deeply in partnering with communities across the region to achieve collective impact.
OMSI is a cross-functional organization, and the Head of People and Culture will coach and foster an inclusive and collaborative culture, so that information flows freely, diverse perspectives are invited and valued, and people are empowered to do their best work. This leader will plan, develop and direct results-driven strategies to reflect our values. OMSI's "Core Values"-those practiced nearly all the time by nearly all our people, include Learning, Creativity, Integrity, and Sustainability. "Strategic Values"- those in practice but that we want to make more core, include:
- OUR PEOPLE: providing a flexible and fun workplace; listening and communicating openly; compensating fairly; allowing people to grow in and outside of their jobs; providing the tools to do the job; setting measurable goals and holding ourselves accountable to results
- ACCESSIBILITY AND EQUITY: listening to audiences we are trying to reach; offering a welcoming guest experience; proactively increasing diversity of staff/diversity of guests; serving underserved audiences through sustainable programs; proactively working to eliminate barriers
The Head of People and Culture will report to the President/CEO and work closely with senior leadership to define investments in staff experience, and implement programs and training to help the organization accomplish two measurable outcomes listed in our 5-year strategic plan:
- OMSI attracts, develops, and retains staff of diverse backgrounds and characteristics
- Employees and volunteers report a high level of satisfaction with working at OMSI (moving from the current score of 3.8 to 4+ on the annual survey)
This leader will directly supervise the Human Resources and Volunteer Services Manager and provide direction to that team to ensure integration of programs and strategies that support and advance our people across the organization. This position offers a unique opportunity to influence OMSI's future and impact in our community.
Job Description: Head of People and Culture
At OMSI, our mission is to excite children and families about learning, experimenting, and exchanging ideas to stimulate informed action. We aspire to a workplace that allows our people to do their best work in a culture that reflects OMSI's values and delivers on our mission. To achieve those goals, the Head of People and Culture reports to the President/CEO and works closely with senior leadership and board to set and align strategy for increasing staff diversity and enhancing the experience of working at OMSI. Directs the design, implementation, training and evaluation of OMSI-wide learning initiatives and practices to facilitate professional development and continuous learning for staff from diverse backgrounds, ages and stages. Leads coordinated approach to increasing staff diversity and identifying and removing barriers to equity and inclusion. Coaches and develops management skills and capabilities and develops emerging leaders to achieve OMSI's strategic goals. Fosters a collaborative culture that invites and values diverse perspectives at all levels. Directs strategies and programs to enhance employee and volunteer engagement and performance across all aspects of human resources and volunteer management.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
Performing the following will involve driving to various locations outside OMSI's corporate headquarters:
- Plans, develops and directs results driven organizational development strategies to effectively develop, recruit, train and retain a diverse and talented workforce.
- Designs and implements strategies to achieve OMSI's equity and diversity goals through community engagement, recruiting and hiring practices, performance coaching, and cultural competency training.
- Models and fosters development of interpersonal relationships that build trust among staff at all levels.
- Reinforces OMSI's Management Competencies; cultivates a culture of shared learning about management and leadership.
- Collaborates with senior leadership and Marketing to produce and coordinate staff communications that are consistent with OMSI's values and reinforce desired organizational culture.
- Develops, advises, and participates in communities of practice (e.g. Diversity Work Group; Rewards and Recognition Committee; Volunteer engagement) and specific initiatives to create a great organizational culture consistent with OMSI's values.
- Coaches individuals and their managers on the design of professional development and succession plans that support personal and organizational growth for employees at all ages and stages.
- Directs data collection and analysis about staff experience to inform decision-making.
- Directs and/or advises on the design of policies, practices, and operational systems to ensure that they reinforce organizational values and culture.
- Oversees the Human Resources and Volunteer Services departments with direct supervision of the Human Resources and Volunteer Services Manager II; oversees management functions of human resources and volunteer programs to create an integrated approach to talent management and organizational development.
- Develops and oversees the annual budget for Human Resources and Volunteer Services, in collaboration with Human Resources and Volunteer Services Manager II.
- This position is exempt, paid salaried.
- This position is regular full-time, scheduled for 40 hours/week.
- Noise level is moderate (examples: business office with computers and printers, light traffic).
- Assume other tasks, responsibilities and projects as assigned by the President/CEO.
- Ability to think strategically at the organizational level and tactically at the project level.
- Demonstrated experience and background in increasing and sustaining workforce diversity.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with senior leadership and with middle management to design and implement integrated approach to talent management and organizational development.
- Demonstrated ability to build effective working relationships at all levels of the organization, build coalitions of support and manage cross-functional teams.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills to work effectively with people with diverse talents, perspectives, ideas and backgrounds.
- Demonstrated ability to design and direct or deliver training in aspects of organizational development and change.
- High degree of emotional intelligence and appreciation of diverse styles, professional stages and abilities.
- Demonstrated business management and analytical skills, including budget management and data analysis, drawing conclusions, and creating plans to address gaps.
- Knowledge of HR principles and functional areas including, working knowledge of laws and regulations of employment practices and procedures.
- Experience in survey design using Survey Monkey or similar survey instruments.
Education & Work Experience:
- Applicable Master's Degree or equivalent combination of experience and education.
- Minimum 10 years' experience of progressive management and organizational leadership in administration and program development.
- Demonstrated Human Resources experience.
- Experience in organizational development in a value-driven, non-profit organization.
Additional Requirements/preferences; including Licenses and Certifications:
- Valid driver's license.
- Pre-employment checks, such as criminal background and reference checks.
- Professional in Human Resource (PHR) certification.
- Professional certification in education or training.
Sign Up For Job Alerts!
- Follow Jobs:
- Share this Page