- 18-Nov-2016 to 01-Jun-2017 (PST)
- Newport, OR, USA
- $10.91 - $12.60
- Special Project - Part-Time
The Camp Cook prepares and cooks nutritious meals for the OMSI Outdoors programs at the Coastal Discovery Center, in Newport, Oregon. Camp cooks will also follow sustainable kitchen practices, which include, food storage and food disposal.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
"Performing the following will involve driving to various locations outside OMSI's corporate headquarters:"
- Prepare and cook meals efficiently for groups of up to 175 participants, at designated times, meeting food preparation timelines.
- Wash all dishes, and clean all surfaces used in the preparation and serving of meals.
- Regularly clean surfaces and equipment in the kitchen, dish room, coolers and, pantries as designated by the manager.
- Maintain Oregon Health Code and American Camp Association standards in handling, cooking and storing of food.
- Fulfill assigned duties in an emergency situation.
- This position is non-exempt, paid hourly
- This position is special project, scheduled for 30 hrs/wk.
- Scheduled to work the months of March-October, with extended time off in June and September.
- Regular shifts include either a morning shift or afternoon/evening shift; hours may flex to cover occasional weekend work. Morning shifts are Tuesday-Friday 5:00am -11:30am and afternoon/evening shifts are Monday-Thursday 1:30pm-8pm.
- Requires occasional weekend work, depending on programming.
- Requires regular and punctual attendance.
- Must be able to work independently and manage time with minimal guidance.
- Work environment includes hot surfaces and ovens, open flames, sharp knives, toxic or caustic chemicals, and all-season outdoor weather conditions.
- Must have visual, perceptual, cognitive and judgment ability to: recognize and respond verbally to health and safety concerns and to deal appropriately with any improper behavior.
- Vision requirements include close vision (clear vision at 20 inches or less), distance vision (clear vision at 20 feet or more), color vision (the ability to recognize the colors of traffic signals and devices showing standard red, green, and amber), peripheral vision (ability to observe an area that can be seen up and down or to the left or right while eyes are fixed on a given point), depth and perception (three dimensional vision, ability to judge distance and spatial relationships), and ability to adjust focus (ability to adjust the eyes to bring an object into sharp focus).
- Noise level is very quiet (examples: forest trail, isolation booth for hearing test) to loud (examples: metal can manufacturing department, large earth-moving equipment).
- Physical Demands: 5% Sitting, 75% Standing, 20% Lifting/Carrying/Pushing/Pulling Pounds 5-80
- Coordinate with other cooks for inventory control and food preparations.
- Wash kitchen laundry.
- Bake desserts and snacks.
- Follow sustainable food practices, as outlined by the manager.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated knowledge of kitchen tools and equipment safety
- Ability to repurpose leftover food into new dishes.
- Ability to follow recipes and improvise when necessary.
- Ability to make meals from scratch
- Strong customer service skills.
- Ability to follow basic instructions.
- Professional communication skills, both written and oral.
- Excellent organizational, analytical and problem solving skills.
- Excellent attention to detail with a high degree of accuracy.
- Excellent coordination and project management skills.
- Understanding of confidentiality and protocol.
- Food Presentation Skills
- Basic Computer Skills.
Education & Work Experience:
- Working knowledge of nutritious and well balanced meals.
- Working knowledge of dairy free, gluten free and vegetarian cooking recipes and techniques.
- Minimum 1 year of cooking in commercial kitchens.
- High School diploma or equivalent combination of experience and education.
- Minimum 1 year of cooking for camps, schools, or other large group settings.
- Demonstrated experience as a baker of cookies, breads, muffins and cakes from scratch.
- Degree/diploma/certificate from a culinary school
- Bilingual - Spanish/English.
- Experience working with volunteers.
Additional Requirements/Preferences; Including Licenses and Certifications:
- Valid Oregon Food Handlers Certificate
- Must be at least 18 years old to operate, repair or clean power-driven food slicers, grinders, choppers and mixers.
- Pre-employment checks, such as criminal background check, reference checks, and American Camp Association (ACA) background checks (& on annual basis).
Sign Up For Job Alerts!
- Follow Jobs:
- Share this Page