- 13-Apr-2017 to 28-Apr-2017 (PST)
- Human Resources
- Portland, OR, USA
- $14.06 - $15.25
- Regular - Full-Time
The Volunteer Coordinator is responsible for recruiting, screening, placing and providing general orientation for new volunteers, as well as providing for the recognition and retention of all volunteers at OMSI.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
Performing some of the following will involve driving to various locations outside OMSI's corporate headquarters:
- Work with OMSI staff throughout the organization to understand the needs for volunteers in their areas.
- Accept requests from staff for new ongoing, special project and special event volunteer positions in their areas, and assist with the development of position descriptions. Monitor existing ongoing positions for openings to be filled with new volunteers.
- Maintain database of organizations, agencies, websites, listservs, schools, and colleges for recruitment purposes, and maintain relationships with key personnel of agencies and organizations that refer volunteers to OMSI.
- Recruit qualified adult applicants for open volunteer positions through a variety of mechanisms, including postings on the OMSI website and other volunteer recruitment websites and participating in volunteer recruitment fairs.
- Respond to telephone and email inquiries regarding volunteer service at OMSI.
- Process volunteer applications as they are received, creating personnel files and tracking candidates through the interview, placement and orientation process.
- Contact applicants for preliminary phone interviews and schedule position-specific interviews for applicants with immediate supervisors in their areas of interest as needed.
- Conduct general personal interviews with qualified applicants, and determine placement in positions that match their interests, skills, abilities and availability.
- Conduct general orientation and training for new volunteers, and schedule them for additional training as needed.
- Complete reference checks and background checks for prospective volunteers.
- Follow up with absent volunteers and perform resignation procedures for volunteers leaving their positions.
- Maintain accurate records for volunteers, including their contact information and hours of service, using Volgistics database.
- Train and supervise volunteers who perform clerical duties for the Volunteer Services department.
- Provide recommendations regarding needs, issues and services for volunteers based on feedback obtained through personal observation and communication with volunteers and volunteer surveys.
- This position is non-exempt, paid hourly
- This position is regular full-time, scheduled for 40 hours/week.
- Physical Demands: 75% Sitting 20% Standing 5% Lifting/Carrying/Pushing/Pulling 10-30 Pounds
- Required to work a minimum of one weekend day each week, plus occasional evenings; flexibility to modify schedule as needed.
- Close vision (clear vision at 20 inches or less), Distance vision (clear vision at 20 feet or more), Color vision (ability to identify and distinguish colors), Peripheral vision (ability to observe an area that can be seen up and down or to the left or right while eyes are fixed on a given point), Depth and perception (three dimensional vision, ability to judge distance and spatial relationships), Ability to adjust focus (ability to adjust the eyes to bring an object into sharp focus).
- Noise level is moderate (examples: business office with computers and printers).
- Plan and implement volunteer recognition activities.
- Coordinate one-time opportunities for groups (e.g., corporate groups) to volunteer at OMSI.
- Contribute articles for the monthly volunteer newsletter.
- Assume other responsibilities and tasks assigned by the Volunteer Services Manager.
- Ability to effectively work independently and with teams on multiple, simultaneous, diverse tasks with attention to details, accuracy and process orientation.
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal and customer service skills, in person and on the telephone, for working effectively with people of diverse ages, talent and background.
- Demonstrated excellent organizational skills and self-initiative to prioritize multiple projects in order to meet individual and Volunteer Services related deadlines.
- Demonstrated professional written and verbal skills, including presentation and public speaking skills
- Ability to promote teamwork and collaboration.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
- Excellent coordination and project management skills.
- Strong time management skills.
- Excellent attention to detail with a high degree of accuracy.
- Ability to work under pressure with flexibility.
- Understanding of confidentiality and protocol.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Flexibility to modify work schedule as needed.
- Ability to follow basic instructions.
- Demonstrated genuine interest in the success and growth of volunteers.
- Experience with Volgistics volunteer management software.
- Nonprofit experience.
- Bilingual - Spanish/English.
- Experience working in a museum or similar setting.
Education & Work Experience:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum 1 year of volunteer coordination experience.
- Recruiting, screening, and training experience.
- Demonstrated experience working in a collaborative work environment and promoting teamwork.
- Minimum 3 years of program coordination and project management experience.
- Minimum 1 year of working with the public in formal and informal settings.
- Previous volunteer coordination experience.
- Coursework or other training in volunteer resource management.
Additional Requirements/Preferences; Including Licenses and Certifications:
- Valid driver's license.
- Pre-employment checks, such as criminal background check and reference checks.
Sign Up For Job Alerts!
- Follow Jobs:
- Share this Page